Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Light, airy, yeasty sweet rolls. I found this recipe in the R.S.V.P. section of Bon Appetit.(Nov. 1985). This is a recipe from the All Steak! Restaurant in Cullman, Alabama.
- 4 ounces compressed yeast cakes
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water (105F to 115F)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted vegetable shortening
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- For dough: Crumble yeast into large bowl. Stir in water and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir shortening, egg and salt into yeast mixture. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until mixture is smooth. Grease bowl. Add dough, turning to coat entire surface. Cover and let rise in warm drat-free area until double in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
- For filling: Beat margarine and sugar to blend well. Stir in orange peel.
- To assemble: Roll dough out on generously floured surface to thickness of 1/16 inch. Spread filling evenly over dough. Roll dough up into tight cylinder, as for jelly roll. Cut into 1 1/2 inch thick slices. Set each slice in paper muffin liner. Arrange on baking sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in warm draft-free area 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Bake rolls until lightly browned on top, about 12 minutes.
- Watch closely, bottom of rolls will burn if over cooked.