Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A sweet rice dish. I use Jasmati rice and make it so it's sticky, because we like it that way and because it's easier for my husband to eat. He has Cerebral Palsy and unless the rice sticks together..it will become airborne! I make rice in the microwave often because it's fast and easy and I can be using my stovetop for other things. After the rice was done I added frozen peas and pearl onions and put it all back in the microwave for three minutes with some margarine. You could, of course, cook the rice any way you like and use whatever your favorite rice is.
- 3⁄4-1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup peas and pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- mix together 3/4 or 1 cup of uncooked white rice with 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup water.
- put in a microwave safe bowl.
- cover with plastic wrap, leaving a corner turned back to vent.
- microwave on high for 5 minutes 20 minutes at 1/2 power.
- take the rice out, uncover carefully and fluff with a fork.
- add in peas and onions and margarine, ( more or less according to taste).
- if you use frozen peas and onions you need to heat again for about 3 min, covered so the peas don't explode all over the microwave. If you use canned, the heat from the rice will do the trick.
- serve and take all compliments that come your way.
We enjoyed this quick and easy to make rice. It was a lovely side dish for our deep fried chicken and tea biscuits. It had a lovely subtle orange flavor and nice textures. I made this on the stovetop as my microwave decided to die this weekend. It worked well on the stovetop as well. Thank you for sharing your recipe Saralaya. Made for Spring Pac 2012.
A fantastic recipe to keep in mind for serving to guest as it is both pretty and tasty; it pairs very well with Happy Orange Maple Chicken. I made this rice using frozen peas that had been thawed and then stirred into hot rice as we hate mush over cooked peas, found this to be very easy and can tell you that if you do not have a microwave the stove top works just as well and is just as easy. This is a must have recipe that will be made again, thanks for the post.
This made such a delicious (and pretty) side dish. Since I was squeezing a fresh orange anyway I zested it to add to the mix. Cooking rice in the micro was new to me but worked well. The rice was nicely fluffy and tasted great! I will definitely be making this easy side again. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :-)