Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
this is a moist dense bread..freezes well.use your personal choice of nuts, walnuts, pecans..etc..
- 1 cup pitted prune
- water, to cover prune
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- cover prunes with water and cook until tender.drain and reserve 1/2 cup prune water.
- cool prunes, then dice.
- in a bowl, beat eggs slightly with fork and add oil, sugar, orange peel, extract and reserved prune water and orange juice -- mix well.
- add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon.add nuts and diced prunes.
- stir only enough to moisten ingredients.
- grease and flour a 9x5" loaf pan.
- pour batter into pan and bake in 350* oven for 55-60 minutes or until it tests done when wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- cool in pan 10 minutes.
- remove from pan to rack and cool completely before slicing.
I made this bread with a few slight changes - I didn't soak the prunes because they were already moist - so I used a whole cup of orange juice instead of half a cup (and no water) - (I did not use orange extract - but did add extra grated orange rind). I also omitted the nuts because I made it for children and lastly, I used brown sugar instead of white. <br/><br/>It was AMAZING. Thank you for this recipe. I will definitely be making it again. The children loved it (as did I!).
I think this recipe was on a package of Del Monte prunes around 15 years ago. I made this bread and then lost the recipe. I've been looking for this recipe since. I believe the prune package called it "Orange Blossom Prune Bread". This is a great tasting bread and may change the minds of prune haters. Thanks for the recipe grandma and I hope this review brings this tasty bread to the interest of others. Followed the recipe exactly and nuts are optional in case of allergy issues.