Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A different take on broccoli.
- 5 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Place broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until broccoli is tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Cook onions in butter for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt until smooth. Stir into saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in orange peel; toss broccoli with sauce.
I wanted to find something different to do with broccoli and this was great. I doubled the recipe because my kids love to put sauce on everything. I think it would be great as a stir fry sauce, too. Thanks for sharing!
We loved the combination of broccoli and orange juice; they really went well together. Next time, I think I will use only 1 teaspoon of brown sugar as the orange juice provided a bit of sweetness itself, but we really enjoyed this new way to make broccoli with a citrus sauce. My son finished his right away, saying it's "not the same old boring broccoli" :).
Oh boy was this yummy! I'm so sorry I did not try this earlier as we love broccoli in this house and this is a great new way to prepare the veggie. I loved the sauce - the orange flavor is excellent. Thanks for sharing!