1/2 Photos of Orange-Cranberry Cake
Planning to make this for Christmas this year as it includes flavors that truly capture the season. Though the recipe is from a diabetic cookbook, it can be made with or without sugar. The use of yogurt and a parsimonious amount of butter keeps this cake moist without being too heavy. According to the source, prepared with the blend the cake has 165 calories and 26g carbs. With sugar, its 187 calories and 34g carbs. (These nutritionals are with water not orange juice.) Added note: as with most lower fat baked items, take good care not to over bake as the results quickly suffer. Better to go a minute or so less than you think the cake needs to be done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking or 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 2/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup water (use water if you are concerned about carbs, omit if you are making the cake with sugar) or 1/4 cup orange juice (use water if you are concerned about carbs, omit if you are making the cake with sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare bundt or tube pan with a light coat of cooking spray.
- 2In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- 3In a large bowl, cream the butter with and electric mixer. Add sugar blend (or sugar) and beat until pale, light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition for a total of two or three minutes. (Mine did not get very fluffy until the eggs were incorporated.) If you like a lot of orange flavor, mix in the orange extract at this point.
- 4Mix together the yogurt and water or orange juice if using the Splenda Blend.
- 5Alternately add the yogurt and flour to the butter in thirds, mixing after each addition.
- 6Add in the cranberries, folding in to distribute throughout the batter.
- 7Pour batter into the prepare tube pan and bake for 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- 8Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes until turning onto cake rack or plate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Cranberry Cake
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.9 mg
- Sodium 138.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g