Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Christmas is coming and everyone wants cookies and treats. I love these simple cookies that taste so festive and bright looking. They taste like a hot spiced tea, which is my favorite holiday drink.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (from zested orange)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat 1 cup sugar with the shortening, egg, vanilla and orange zest. Add the orange juice, flour, soda and salt and stir until well combined.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar with 3 tbs cinnamon. Shape dough into walnut sized balls. Roll in cinnamon sugar and press onto prepared cookie sheets with a glass dipped in cinnamon sugar.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
To die for. When combining the sugar and cinnamon, I rarely measure - I tend to like much more cinnamon than most. I tried these without the cinnamon and sugar on the outside and not quite great - good orange cookie. I chilled the dough before rolling them - I have found with cookies this makes it easier for me. I didn't use the glass to press-just my thunb. Soooo good.
yummy! they're so good. I used only 1/2 cup of sugar. We can really taste the orange in the cookies and the cinnamon around them. That's a great combination. Thanks Jess. Made for Please Review my Recipe
Well, I'm not sure if there'll be any still around when the 25th rolls around, but I'm working on that! You have A GREAT TASTING COOKIE HERE & a serious keeper-of-a-recipe! Easy to make & wonderful eating! Thanks much for posting it! [Tagged, made & reiewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]