Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This torte starts with a boxed brownie mix and gets taken to a whole new level with the addition of mandarin oranges. This make a very lovely dessert. From Family Circle.
- 1 large orange
- 1 (21 ounce) box brownie mix (family style)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) envelope whipped dessert topping mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla pudding mix
- orange food coloring
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup
- Torte layers: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 9" round pans with cooking spray.
- Finely grate the orange peel and juice the orange (you should have about 2 1/2 t orange zest and 1/3 c orange juice).
- Combine the brownie mix, eggs, 2 t orange peel, orange juice and oil in a large bowl.
- Blend until well combined.
- Divide evenly between the two pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn out on racks to cool completely.
- Frosting: Combine the milk, whipped topping mix, and pudding mix in a large bowl.
- Beat on low speed until blended.
- Increase speed to high and beat 4 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Stir in 1 drop of food coloring and the remaining 1/2 t orange zest.
- Place one layer on a platter and spread 3/4 c frosting on top of the layer.
- Drain mandarin oranges and pat dry.
- Arrange 3/4 c orange segments over the frosting.
- Top with the second layer and spread remaining frosting on top and sides of the torte.
- Garnish the top of the torte with the remaining mandarin orange segments.
- Chill 1 hour before serving.