Recipe by Mirj
This is one of the typical refreshing desserts of the Middle East. You can easily substitute crushed melon or strawberries or your favorite fruit.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This is goood and what I was looking for. Dairy free & cold like ice cream. I used the freshly squeezed juices called for and one huge strawberry that wanted to be used up here. It has almost been finished and I have only scrapped it without putting it into a food processor but can see that would make it of better texture. The only problem is there are bits that seem too big of the peels but that may be fixed if I use the processor? I did grate them on the finner side of my box grater. I added the liquid to my ice cream maker instead of a glass bowl but should have chilled it first and will do so next time insha Allah (God willing).
- 1 cup sugar (more or less, depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 cups fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 orange, rind of, , finely grated
- 1 lemon, rind of, , finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the sugar and the water to a boil.
- Boil 5-10 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Cool slightly and strain.
- Add the juices and rinds, stirring to mix well, or whirl in a food processor.
- Transfer the liquid to a glass bowl, and freeze to a mush.
- Use an electric mixer or a food processor to beat the frozen mixture until smooth.
- Pour into a container of your choice, and return to the freezer.
- Freeze until firm.