Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Very easy to make,your kids will love it and its gluten free.I got the receipe watching a cooking show on tv.I believe it to be jewish.I have made a few changes.
- 1 orange (large)
- 4 -5 eggs
- 200 g caster sugar
- 300 g almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- caster sugar (for dusting)
- icing sugar (for dusting after baking)
- butter (or oil spray for greasing pan.)
- Place orange (unpeeled)in boiling water for 2 hours.Remove and allow to cool.This can be done ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Break eggs into a blender.add caster sugar and blend together.
- Cut up orange (unpeeled) and place into egg mix,and blend together to a smooth consistency.
- Add the almond meal and baking powder and blend.
- Grease baking pan and dust with caster sugar.
- Pour batter into the pan and sprinkle caster sugar on top and bake for 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.(you can also have it with cream).
WOW! This cake is DEVINE! I do not eat gluten free but a coworker of mine (whose baby shower cake I made) has celiac disease and she just raved about it. The other gueste also loved it! Thanks for the recipe!
I made this in a 10" round cake pan, and added a 1/2 tsp baking soda and a few splashes of mild vinegar to help it rise - it rose to the perfect size for my pan, and reminded me of a sponge cake. Absolutely delicious - thanks for sharing!
Great cake. Very easy to make with no fuss. Also liked that this recipe didn't have any butter or oil added. I used 1 1/2 oranges as I couldn't get large ones and 4 large eggs. This cake doesn't rise much during cooking. I used a round 20cm tin, but I think you could use any size- even muffin or friand tins for individual serves (perhaps just adjust cooking time to suit). Photo also to be posted. Made for Pick A Chef (PAC)event held in the Contests and Events Forum
1 Nov 2011- updating my review to say that I made this recipe into cupcakes- made 12 cupcakes nicely. Baked for about 30 mins and then when cooled I iced them with rich chocolate frosting to make them into jaffa cupcakes.