Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Southern Living. The first ingredient should be: two 8-inch submarine rolls, unsliced. Zaar's editing software won't let me say it like that
- 2 (8 inch) submarine sandwich bread, unsliced
- 1⁄2 lb boneless top round steak
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 slices provolone cheese (each slice should be about 3/4 oz.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a 1 1/2- to 2-inch deep vertical cut around the outside edge of each roll, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Remove tops of rolls (discard) and hollow out about 1 1/2 inches of each bread roll, forming a boat; set aside.
- Cut steak diagonally across the grain into 1/8-inch thick strips; place strips in a small shallow bowl.
- Add dressing and crushed red pepper; toss to coat; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat; add in onion and mushrooms; stir/saute 15 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
- Add in bell pepper; stir/saute 8-10 minutes or until bell pepper is tender.
- Add in garlic; stir/saute 1 minute.
- Remove mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Stir-fry steak mixture in skillet over med-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until steak is no longer pink.
- Fill bread boats evenly with layers of steak mixture and onion mixture; top with cheese.
- Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat for 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.