Entered for safe-keeping. Found this recipe from Saveur on the internet, and it looks like an excellent combination for tea-time sandwiches. (Or in my case, I'll wrap 2-slice sandwiches with plastic as is commonly done in Britain, and brown-bag my lunch for work.) From wikipedia: "Watercress contains significant amounts of iron, calcium and folic acid, in addition to vitamins A and C.... Many benefits from eating watercress are claimed, such as that it acts as a mild stimulant, a source of phytochemicals and antioxidants, a diuretic, an expectorant, and a digestive aid. It also appears to have cancer-suppressing properties. It is widely believed to help defend against lung cancer. In addition, watercress is a known inhibitor of the Cytochrome P450 CYP2E1, which may result in altered drug metabolism for individuals on certain medications (ex., chlorzoxazone)." Note that watercress has a shelf life of 2-3 days. For a more British version, use cress sprouts.
- PREPARE HARD-COOKED EGGS THE FOOLPROOF WAY:.
- Place the eggs in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Set over medium heat and cover with a lid. When it starts to boil, remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Dump the warm water, and refill the pot with cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes or so, dump and refill again with cold water.
- When cool to the touch, peel off the shells and roughly chop the eggs.
- PREPARE EGG SALAD:.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the eggs, chives, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour on the mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard. Gently fold together.
- PREPARE SANDWICH:.
- Toast the bread. (Note: this is one sandwich in which the bread is commonly de-crusted and cut into special shapes for tea-time, or the prepared sandwich may be cut into triangles.).
- Construct the sandwich. Pile the watercress on a slice of the toasted bread, and dollop the egg salad on top.
Fantastic...great recipe; loved it with the watercress.
I loved this open-faced sandwich! I used freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and that made egg salad a totally new experience. The watercress is wonderful...I probably used too much but just love it. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT8.
Loved the combination of flavors in this egg salad. The taste of the watercress just blended right in. Everyone had some and wanted more but none was left. Made for ZWT8