Gourmet Egg Salad Sandwich
- Ready In:
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 4 slices jarlsberg cheese
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels; crumble.
- Preheat oven broiler and set rack about 6 inches from heat source.
- Mix eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl; fold in crumbled bacon.
- Toast sourdough bread under broiler until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Spread pesto evenly on each slice of bread; top with 1/4 egg salad mixture and spread to cover completely. Top each sandwich with 1 slice Jarlsberg cheese.
- Return sandwiches to broiler and cook until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Served sandwiches warm and open-faced.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was pretty good. I followed this almost exactly for lunch for myself and my 3 year old son and we both loved it. I went to serve this and had bought my bread 8 days before and unfortunately it had molded. I was so disappointed. I ended up making lettuce wraps with the egg salad and they turned out well, and actually pretty healthy since it was very low carb. I felt that the pesto was a little much in this and I will leave it out from now on. I really loved the bacon in this and was surprised that my picky son ate two who lettuce wraps. Thanks for a great salad Lavender Lynn. Made for PAC Spring 2014.
The only changes I made where to use less mayonaise (about 1 tablespoon) and used wholegrain/wholemeal toast bread for 3 serves which served as a lunch for 1 and the other 2 a snack and required a half a hame and salad sandwich each to finish off) The salad itslef was superb but found the pesto a little overpowering overall on the sandwich (and I had used less than recommended) and I used basil pesto but would like to try with a tomato pesto which is a little milder and may let the egg shine trhough more. Thank you Lavender Lynn, made for Make My Recipe.