Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious, lighter version of everyone's favourite Italian dish created by Janet and Greta Podleski for their Looneyspoons cookbook.
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs extra- lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup zucchini, grated and loosely packed
- 1 (700 ml) jar pasta sauce (I use Classico)
- 1 (19 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, minced
- 2 cups light ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces feta cheese with herbs, crumbled
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 large egg
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, packed (Use a 3 or 4-cheese blend if available)
- Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over the sun-dried tomatoes and let soak while you prepare the sauce.
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Cook and stir until the onions have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and sausage, breaking up any large pieces.
- Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the fresh basil.
- When the sun-dried tomatoes are soft enough, drain and chop them finely and add to the sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the minced basil and remove from the heat.
- Combine the ricotta, feta, spinach and egg in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions and drain well.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a deep 9" x 13" baking dish and spoon some meat sauce over the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange 4 noodles over the sauce and layer as follows: 1/3 meat sauce, 1/2 shredded cheese, 4 noodles, 1/3 meat sauce, all of the ricotta/spinach mixture, 4 noodles, the remaining meat sauce and the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Let lasagna stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I love the name!