Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A hearty bread for serving with soup. It is low in added fat; however, the zucchini makes it moist.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute or 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup finely shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 inch round baking pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, onion 2 tablespoons of the grated Parmesan cheese, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil, egg substitute or eggs.
- Add the shredded zucchini to the milk mixture, stir to blend.
- Add milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour into prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 40 minutes.
Ideal bread for soup! We really enjoyed the savory flavors in this tasty bread as well as how healthy it is. Broke one of my own rules and read the reviews before making and fallowed another reviewer's suggestion of caramelizing the onions and adding a half teaspoon of dried herbs provence. Thanks for the tasty post.
this was very yummy. Mine did not rise not sure if it was supose to or not. But it tasted fantastic anyway. Made for RECIPE SWAP #14 - March 2008
I carmelized the onion and used garlic infused oil instead of veggie oil. Yummy