Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
To all of you aficionados of French Onion Soup, I urge you to try this English version. It is creamier and milder than its counterpart from across the Channel.
- Peel and chop the onions and celery and cook them in a covered pan in a little butter, with a tablespoon of water until they are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Then purée them in a food processor with metal blade.
- Keep the purée on one side while you melt the butter in the cleaned saucepan and stir in the flour to make a roux.
- When the flour and butter have combined and become smooth and glossy, add the milk a little at a time, stirring all the time until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the onion and celery purée and enough stock to make a smooth creamy soup.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, taste for seasoning, add a little nutmeg, stir in the parsley and lastly enrich the soup by pouring the cream into the middle and letting it swirl up to the top.