Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The perfect onion soup...simple and delicious. I got this recipe from a professional.
- 900 g onions, chopped a way you prefer (I halve them and slice them)
- 100 g butter (you may use oil, but this will change the taste)
- 1 1⁄4 liters broth
- 150 ml white wine (you can serve the rest for dinner)
- nutmeg, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat the butter and steam the onions in it until they become translucent.
- Add broth and wine.
- season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (while this gives a delicious flavour, don't overdo it) and let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add more spices if necessary.
- You can serve it with white bread, cheese croutons or try the classic way and gratinate with toast sprinkled with a generously amount of cheese.