Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great for a brunch or as an appetizer From Bon Appétit Magazine Oct 2002
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons water, chilled
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt, generous pinch
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, generous pinch
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese, grated, tightly packed
- For crust:.
- Blend flour and salt in processor.
- Add butter and shortening using on/off button cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water and process until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball and flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured work surface to 11-inch round.
- Transfer to 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Press dough onto bottom and up sides of pan. Pierce crust all over with fork and freeze 10 minutes.
- Line crust with foil, fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake crust 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and beans. Bake until crust is set and partially cooked through, about 15 minutes longer.
- Cool crust while making filling.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling:.
- Sauté bacon in medium skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion and pinch of sugar to drippings in skillet and sauté until onion is deep golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk cream, egg, egg yolk, pepper, salt, and nutmeg in small bowl to blend.
- Spread onion over bottom of baked crust; sprinkle bacon over, then cheese. Pour cream mixture over.
- Bake until tart is puffed and filling is set, about 25 minutes.
- Cool tart on rack 10 minutes.
- Remove pan sides. Serve warm or at room temperature.