Great for a brunch or as an appetizer From Bon Appétit Magazine Oct 2002
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons water, chilled
- 1For crust:.
- 2Blend flour and salt in processor.
- 3Add butter and shortening using on/off button cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 4Add 2 tablespoons ice water and process until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- 5Gather dough into ball and flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
- 6Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 7Roll out dough on lightly floured work surface to 11-inch round.
- 8Transfer to 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- 9Press dough onto bottom and up sides of pan. Pierce crust all over with fork and freeze 10 minutes.
- 10Line crust with foil, fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- 11Bake crust 10 minutes.
- 12Remove foil and beans. Bake until crust is set and partially cooked through, about 15 minutes longer.
- 13Cool crust while making filling.
- 14Maintain oven temperature.
- 15For filling:.
- 16Sauté bacon in medium skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- 17Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion and pinch of sugar to drippings in skillet and sauté until onion is deep golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- 18Whisk cream, egg, egg yolk, pepper, salt, and nutmeg in small bowl to blend.
- 19Spread onion over bottom of baked crust; sprinkle bacon over, then cheese. Pour cream mixture over.
- 20Bake until tart is puffed and filling is set, about 25 minutes.
- 21Cool tart on rack 10 minutes.
- 22Remove pan sides. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion, Cheese & Bacon Tart
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.5
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 277.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 8.7 g