Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Bake this quick bread before you leave town, or mix dry ingredients, sauté onions, and grate cheese in advance, then bake the loaf on-site.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (about 13 1/2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (such as amber ale)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and divided
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Add onion, cheese, and beer; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; drizzle evenly with 2 tablespoons butter. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes; brush with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bake an additional 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.