Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I love this healthy bread recipe as it only uses one bowl, so cuts down on clean up. If you like the taste of whole wheat bread use the full 3 cups of whole wheat flour. Be sure to use tepid warm water when dissolving the yeast. If the water is too hot it will kill the yeast. The water should be warm enough to bath a baby in. Enjoy!
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 2 -3 cups whole wheat flour
- 5 -6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Place water in bowl; sprinkle in yeast.
- Add sugar, salt, dry milk and oil.
- Mix in whole wheat flour
- Add white flour, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add more flour to form a sicky, stiff dough that leaves sides of bowl.
- Knead for 10 minutes or until dough blisters.
- Grease bowl with oil.
- Return dough, making sure top is oiled.
- Cover with towel and let rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down.
- Divide dough in half and form into 2 loaves.
- Place in greased loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise until dough is double in size, about 40-60 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven 20-25 minutes or until well browned.
- Loaf of bread should sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes; loosen sides with a knife and turn onto a rack to cool.