These are the best! If you like sweet pickles, move over kosher! These are incredible (and addictive). Sweet and crunchy. The only problem is I can never make enough. everyone wants a jar! Perfect! So worth the time and effort!
- 2 gallons cucumbers, sliced (best to use overripe cucumbers that have gotten large and yellowed at the end of the season...the la)
- 2 cups pickling lime (calcium hydroxide)
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 14 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- Peel cucumbers and slice about 1/4"-1/2" thick.
- Remove the seeds by cutting a circle out of the middle.
- They will be donut shaped.
- Soak in 8 1/2 quarts of water and 2 cups of pickling lime for 24 hours.
- Wash and drain slices very well.
- Cover with cold water and soak for 3 hours.
- Place cukes, alum, food coloring, 1 cup vinegar, and enough water to cover the cukes in a large pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Drain and throw away solution.
- Melt red hots in 2 cups water.
- Mix red hot solution, 2 c vinegar 8 cinnamon sticks, and sugar and heat until hot; bring to a near boil.
- Pour mixture over cucumbers.
- Let sit until next day.
- For 2 mornings, remove cucumbers and heat solution. DO NOT THROW AWAY SOLUTION.
- Pour hot solution back over cucumbers.
- Sit until next morning.
- On third morning, heat solution with cucumbers included.
- Do not boil!
- Place cucumbers in jars while hot and seal!
- Refrigerate after jars reach room temperature.
- Serve cold.