Prep 3 hrs
Cook 120 hrs
These are the best! If you like sweet pickles, move over kosher! These are incredible (and addictive). Sweet and crunchy. The only problem is I can never make enough. everyone wants a jar! Perfect! So worth the time and effort!
- 2 gallons cucumbers, sliced (best to use overripe cucumbers that have gotten large and yellowed at the end of the season...the la)
- 2 cups pickling lime (calcium hydroxide)
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 14 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup red-hot candies
- Peel cucumbers and slice about 1/4"-1/2" thick.
- Remove the seeds by cutting a circle out of the middle.
- They will be donut shaped.
- Soak in 8 1/2 quarts of water and 2 cups of pickling lime for 24 hours.
- Wash and drain slices very well.
- Cover with cold water and soak for 3 hours.
- Place cukes, alum, food coloring, 1 cup vinegar, and enough water to cover the cukes in a large pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Drain and throw away solution.
- Melt red hots in 2 cups water.
- Mix red hot solution, 2 c vinegar 8 cinnamon sticks, and sugar and heat until hot; bring to a near boil.
- Pour mixture over cucumbers.
- Let sit until next day.
- For 2 mornings, remove cucumbers and heat solution. DO NOT THROW AWAY SOLUTION.
- Pour hot solution back over cucumbers.
- Sit until next morning.
- On third morning, heat solution with cucumbers included.
- Do not boil!
- Place cucumbers in jars while hot and seal!
- Refrigerate after jars reach room temperature.
- Serve cold.
OMG These are so good. I'm making my second batch. The first batch I was short some cucumber, sooo, sitting on my counter was a Giant Zuchini. Pealed, cleaned out seeds and sliced, and added to cukes. These turned out better than cukes and less work. This batch using all zucs about 4 Giant ones. Made mistake first time I used quart jars. This time will use pint jars for christmas gifts and sharing. Too selfish to give the quarts away. HAHA. Thanks, lovin2cook for sharing this fabulous recipe.
These pickles were delicious! Iwas frantically looking for this recipe from last year, since I had an abundance of cucumbers to do something with. Now I found it here again. Will share with my friends. Thank you!
Like the previous poster commented, my grandma used to make these and I couldn't get enough of them, lol. I was just a teen when she passed away and I never got her recipe, so I thought these pickles would just be a childhood memory. Finding this recipe is like a dream come true! Now I can make them for my grandchildren since we always seem to have more cukes in the garden than we know what to do with, especially the ones you suggested..the one's that you always seem to overlook and grow to big! Thanks for posting!