MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
By request, here are those old fashioned Red Hots Pickles...
- Ready In:
- 2 gallons prepared cucumbers, peeled,ends removed,cored and cut into rings or sticks (measure after slicing)
- 8 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 cups pickling lime
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 ounces red food coloring
- 10 cups sugar
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 8 -10 ounces red cinnamon candies
- Prepare the cucumbers: peel, removed ends, core, and cut into rings or sticks.
- Combine water and lime.
- Soak prepared cucumbers in lime-water for 24 hours.
- Drain and wash 3 times in cold water.
- Cover with cold water and let sit for 3 hours.
- Combine alum, vinegar, 2 cups water, food coloring, sugar, cinnamon and red hots to make a syrup.
- Add drained cucumbers and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Let stand overnight.
- Drain off syrup, reheat and pour over pickles daily for 3 days.
- Pack in hot jars and seal.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Oh my! I haven't even canned them yet, still soaking in the juice daily. This is day two. I just had to taste a small piece. Wow! I'm in love. I had no idea a cucumber could taste so delicious. I'm going to have to grow extra cucs next year just to make these. I've never heard of these prior to trying this recipe. Oh, I used 12 oz of the red hot candies in mine. I'd consider even upping that a tad, although they are delicious as is. Easy holiday gifts if I'm feeling generous:)Reply
see 1 more