Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is an easy way of achieving my mom's yummy Herring Salad. She still serves this for breaking the fast after Yom Kippur even though she is 94 and would kill me if she knew I posted it on the internet. Cook time is refrigerator time.
- 1 (12 ounce) jar herring in wine sauce
- 1 medium bermuda onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled,cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium dill pickle, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh dill or 1 sprig parsley (to garnish)
- Remove herring from jar.
- Drain and reserve sauce.
- Scrape off any black areas, skin and or membrane from each piece and cut into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine herring, onion, apple, pickle, sour cream, sugar and vinegar.
- Add remaining sauce and stir to coat all ingredients.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Garnish with dill or parsley sprig.
- Serve with a good pumpernickel or rye bread and steamed potatoes.
I haven't made this yet but, because it is very similar to my former m-i-l's Herring Salad, I know it is good. She used a huge jar of Herring in Wine Sauce for our Christmas Eve dinner. She would take the herring our and all of the onions. To these she would add the onions, apple, dill pickle, sour cream and celery root. You couldn't belong to the family unless you liked the herring salad! It is wonderful. I'm from Milwaukee where some of the best US herring is pickled and jarred.
We loved this. I cut the recipe in half, which I should not have done, only because we ate it all in one sitting. I doubled the apples because I knew it would be my favorite part, and it was. I left out the pickles (but did make it in a clean pickle jar), and left out the reserved juices. I also used low fat sour cream and didn't have enough but it didn't matter too much. This was a great snack on matzoh. I am going to make this often. Thank you and your dear mother. I can see how this would be the perfect meal for breaking the fast, but I can't wait that long to have it again :-)