Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This cake is special...especially for Christmas (like the Waltons, anyone remember?), any holiday or dinner party. Glad I found this recipe again.
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups white raisins or 2 cups light raisins (can use dark if prefer)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) jar applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons Bourbon (to taste)
- Sift flour with soda, spices, and salt.
- Combine nuts and raisins in bowl and stir in 1/2 cup of the flour mixture.
- Cream butter in another bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each.
- Alternately add flour mixture and applesauce, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Stir in raisin mixture.
- Spoon into greased 10-inch tube or bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes (or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean).
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and finish cooling on wire rack.
- Spread with Frosting.
- Cover until ready to serve.
- Whiskey Frosting: Stir together butter and cream, beat in 1 cup of the sugar.
- Blend in remaining sugar and the bourbon until proper spreading consistency.
- Makes enough frosting to cover a 10-inch tube pan.
This made a moist type poundcake. I used black raisins in mine. I made the mistake of using the whiskey in the frosting everyone cut the frosting off the cake. My family doesn't drink any type of alcohol. Made this for Cool Monday's bake-a-thon. Thanks Debster. Bullwinkle
i have been making this cake for years. recipe was in the bbook about a walton's chrismas. i use cream cheese frosting as i hate whiskey.
Debster. I am so happy to have this recipe again!!! Thank you so much!! Love, Becky