Recipe by Sharon123
A wonderful way to use zucchini and tomatoes! It's great to sit around the table and eat good food, made with love! Feel free to use yellow squash instead or with the zucchini! Adapted fromKatie Brown Entertains cookbook. Always stir in fresh herbs at the end because they will brown if cooked for too long.
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
What a fabulous way to useupgarden veggies and such a light lovely sauce. This is a definite keeper even through the fall and winter as I froze so much of our summer garden veggies. Served over whole wheat pasta, saved half for the freezer :-). We sprinkled parm.reggiano cheese over top of the platter so it could take a moment to melt into the sauce. Fabulous! Made for Sharon 123.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, in juice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 cups roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups zucchini, diced (or use yellow squash)
- 1 cup black olives, pitted, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 (12 ounce) boxes fettuccine pasta
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh parsley (to garnish)
- grated parmesan cheese (or try feta cheese for a change)
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes with juice, dried parsley, and dried basil and cook 10 minutes more.
- Puree the sauce using a food processor or blender, and return to heat.
- Add the wine, fresh tomatoes, and zucchini and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in olives, fresh parsley and fresh basil.
- Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoons pepper. If sauce is too thick, add a little water to thin it out a bit.
- Boil about 4 cups of water with 1 tbls. salt.
- Add the fettuccini and cook as directed on the package(about 10 inutes).
- Drain the noodles, toss lightly in about 1 cup of the sauce, then top with remaining sauce.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs and Parmesan cheese.