Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A childhood favorite
Make and share this Olive Oil and Couscous Cake With Cream and Date Syup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup couscous (uncooked)
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup rose water
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup date syrup
- 12 dates, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush 9-inch cake pan with olive oil.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; stir in couscous.
- Whisk olive oil and rose water in another medium bowl.
- Beat egg yolks, eggs and 1 cup of sugar in a large bowl until thick pale yellow; stir in orange peel.
- Fold the flour mixture and the olive oil mixture into the egg mixture alternating between the two.
- Pour the batter into the pan- tap gently to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake cake until it is medium-dark brown and toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (approx 45 mins).
- Cool on a cake rack for 30 mins.
- Turn out onto a serving plate.
- (Can be made a day ahead and stored covered at room temperature).
- To serve:.
- Beat cream until soft peaks form.
- cut cake into wedges.
- Drizzle cake with date syrup, cream and fresh sliced dates.