Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from the files of Riserva di Fizzano and the Rocca delle Macie Winery – Olive Garden’s Italian Partners.
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices crusty Italian bread
- extra virgin olive oil (to drizzle)
- fresh thyme (garnish)
- Rinse dry porcini mushrooms with water. Place in a bowl and add hot water until mushrooms are just covered. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms and set aside liquid for sauce.
- Add butter to skillet and melt. Add onions and garlic. Saute over low heat until onions are a light golden brown. Add crimini mushrooms, white and drained porcini mushrooms. Saute over high heat for 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Cook until all moisture has evaporated. Sprinkle flour evenly across mushrooms. Mix well.
- Add white wine. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add reserved soaking water from mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add heavy cream and mix well. Add thyme and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle both sides of bread with extra virgin olive oil. Grill bread on both sides. Spoon hot mushroom topping on bread slices. Garnish plate with a sprig of fresh thyme.