Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 72 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe came from My exes German grandmother..
Make and share this Old World Sauerbraten recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄4 lbs round steaks (2-3 in. thick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
- 1 medium carrot (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 cups cold water
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 10 gingersnaps
- 3 to 4 days before serving:.
- Place steak in shallow enamel or glass dish. Combine salt, pepper, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, sliced onions, sliced carrots, chopped celery, vinegar and water. Pour over meat, cover and refrigerate.
- About 3 1/2 hours before serving:.
- 1. Remove steak from marinade, dry with paper towels, saving marinade.
- 2. Heat oil and brown meat on both sides.
- 3. To drippings add flour and sugar, brown lightly, scraping bottom of pan well; stir in marinade, bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Add steak and simmer, covered, for 3 hours or until fork tender.
- 4. Remove steak to cutting board then carefully remove surface fat from gravy. Stir in crushed gingersnaps to make gravy cook and stir until smooth.
- 5. Meanwhile cut meat into 1/2 inch thick slices and arrange onto serving dish.