Recipe by "Pink Eyed" Jim Cortina
I was craving this restaurant's tomato basil soup today, but have only five bucks to my name. So I decided to try and make it with the ingredients that I had on hand. The result was very good.
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste with basil and garlic
- 12 ounces tomato juice (V-8 Juice works well too)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except for cream in a large soup pot.
- Simmer for 20 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Allow soup to cool a bit (until it's no longer hot to the touch), then whisk in the cream.
- Reheat slowly to serving temperature, and serve with chiffonaded fresh basil, if available.