Joe's Italian Tomato Basil Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe was in the Birmingham News and it comes from a restaurant in Alabaster, AL called Joe's Italian. Joe's has the best tomato basil soup I have ever eaten!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 cups ground tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Melt the butter with the oil over low heat in a heavy bottom pot.
- Add the onion; wilt over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 60 minutes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add basil. Stir in the cream or half & half, simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil before serving.
- Note: When tomatoes are in-season use fresh tomatoes, blanch for 8 minutes and process with food processor. In the winter, use a San Marzano-type canned tomato, drain half of the liquid and process in food processor.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION