My grandmother made these for my mom when she was growing up and in turn my mother baked these for me. Some of my favorite memories are of coming home from school and having aplate of freshly baked tea cakes waiting for me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- 2Stir in the baking powder Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- 3Stir into the creamed mixture.
- 4Add the salt and vanilla.
- 5Stir in the flour gradually until a soft dough forms.
- 6Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
- 7Press with a damp cloth wrapped around the bottom of a glass.
- 8Bake at 350*F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Cool on wire racks.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Tea Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (1347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 898.0
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 704.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 131.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 68.0 g
- Protein 11.3 g