Recipe by MarieRynr
My grandmother made these for my mom when she was growing up and in turn my mother baked these for me. Some of my favorite memories are of coming home from school and having aplate of freshly baked tea cakes waiting for me.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the baking powder Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk.
- Stir into the creamed mixture.
- Add the salt and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour gradually until a soft dough forms.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Press with a damp cloth wrapped around the bottom of a glass.
- Bake at 350*F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.