1/2 Photos of Old Fashioned Sweet Nine Day Pickles
216 hrs 45 mins
Love these Sweet Pickles, one of the best sweet pickle recipes in my collection and one of the best I have ever tasted. This is one of those old old recipes shared by a lady that made really great pickles. Very easily made and not as time consuming as it sounds. While modern safety method requirements may call for processing I don't process my pickles as I find it changes the taste and texture, you may do so if you wish. As with many of the old recipes some things just do not enter well ... with this one it's you have to be making up enough of each of the brine solutions to completely cover! NOTE be sure to use non - reactive containers ( stainless steel - unchipped enamel/porcelain, assure all your plastic bowls and containers are food grade)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3784.0 ml cucumbers, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
Plain Water Soak
- 3784.0 ml water
Sweet Pickle Brine
- 1STEP ONE: Cut cucumbers in 1/2 inch pieces or a little larger and place in a crock or large glass container. Bring the soaking brine to a boil, pour over cut cucumbers, cover with a clean cloth and weigh down with a plate. Cover crock with a clean tea towel.
- 2Let stand three days.
- 3STEP TWO: Drain, put back in crock and cover with fresh water. There is no salt added to this.
- 4Let stand two days.
- 5STEP THREE: Drain and place back in crock.
- 6Bring the pickle solution with the alum to a boil and simmer two minutes pour over.
- 7Stand overnight.
- 8STEP FOUR: Drain and place back in crock. Make Sweet Pickle brine, bring to a boil and pour over. For three days drain this syrup into a large pot and bring to a boil. Pour back over the cucumber slices. The third day once again bring the syrup to a boil. Put pickles into sterilized jars, pour hot brine over and seal.
- 9I often replace some of the cucumber pieces with cauliflower chunks, making for a mixed sweet pickle.
- 10Makes about eight pints.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Sweet Nine Day Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (654 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.9
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11333.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 81.2 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: