- 500 g sultanas
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond essence or 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 150°C and grease a 20cm square or round cake tin.
- Pick over the sultanas to remove any stem- nothing worse than a crunch in your cake.
- Place sultanas in a saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring to the boil and then drain off the water. Return sultanas to saucepan.
- Stir in the chopped butter and set aside the sultanas to cool.
- Beat together the eggs, essence and sugar. Then add in the sultanas.
- Add your flour and baking powder to another mixing bowl and aerate with a kitchen whisk (or you can sift them together).
- Stir the flour into the sultana mix.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 1 1/2 hours.