12 hrs 45 mins
Once you try this pickle relish, you will never buy store-bought again. I usually chop the veggies in my food processor. I pulse them until they are finely chopped but still on the chunky side. You do not want them pureed. I am not sure about the yield, but I think it is approximately 10-12 half-pints. You can easily reduce that quantities and keep refrigerated after placing in the jars. If you are not going to water-bath the jars, make sure you sterilize them either in the oven, the dishwasher, or a pot of boiling water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the cukes, onions, and peppers in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Place a layer of ice cubes on top to cover surface of relish.
- 2Let stand 2 hours up to 12 hours.
- 3Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess liquid.
- 4Place drained veggies, sugar, vinegar and spices in a large stainless steel kettle. If making the spicy version, you will add your pepper flakes now also.
- 5Bring to a boil over high heat watching so as not to scorch. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Pack hot into 1/2 pint jars.
- 7Process in a water-bath for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Pickle Relish (Traditional or Spicy)
Serving Size: 1 (2402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.7
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2836.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 83.1 g
- Protein 1.2 g