Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Once you try this pickle relish, you will never buy store-bought again. I usually chop the veggies in my food processor. I pulse them until they are finely chopped but still on the chunky side. You do not want them pureed. I am not sure about the yield, but I think it is approximately 10-12 half-pints. You can easily reduce that quantities and keep refrigerated after placing in the jars. If you are not going to water-bath the jars, make sure you sterilize them either in the oven, the dishwasher, or a pot of boiling water.
- Combine the cukes, onions, and peppers in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Place a layer of ice cubes on top to cover surface of relish.
- Let stand 2 hours up to 12 hours.
- Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess liquid.
- Place drained veggies, sugar, vinegar and spices in a large stainless steel kettle. If making the spicy version, you will add your pepper flakes now also.
- Bring to a boil over high heat watching so as not to scorch. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pack hot into 1/2 pint jars.
- Process in a water-bath for 10 minutes.