Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Gooey, delicious brownies, made the low fat way! These are taken from The 99% Fat Free Cookbook, by Barry Bluestein and Kevin Morrissey. Posted here mostly so I can calculate Weight Watcher points :)
- 1 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup double-strength hot brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together into a large bowl. Add the coffee and corn syrup. Blend with a wire whisk until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Add the applesauce, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until completely blended. Add the flour. Fold in the yogurt with a wooden spoon just until it is incorporated.
- Fold the batter into an 8-by-8 inch nonstick baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the mixture is just beginning to separate from the edges of the pan and is firm to the touch in the centre.
- Remove from the oven, place on a rack, and cool completely in the pan, about 2 hours.
These are the first brownies I've ever made and they've been a HUGE hit with the kids. I didn't have any apple sauce so I made my own and they worked out perfectly.
Oh my gosh, these are the best brownies ever! My family gobbled them up, and kept asking me to make more! These brownies are very healthy, and good!