1/3 Photos of Old Fashioned Chocolate Brownie Cake
This brownie-cake is so good! The best part is the frosting - very chocolaty but not too sweet. Originally from Esther Shank's Mennonite cookbook, tweaked just a bit by me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2Preheat oven to 375F; grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
- 3In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, shortening, cocoa and water. Heat in microwave to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- 4Meanwhile, in mixing bowl, combine sugar and flour.
- 5Pour hot mixture over sugar and flour and mix to combine.
- 6Add remaining cake ingredients and beat until well blended.
- 7Pour into pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until done (toothpick inserted comes out clean and when shaken, cake seems set).
- 8Pour icing on cake immediately after taking it out of oven.
- 10In medium microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, cocoa and buttermilk in bowl and heat in microwave until boiling, stirring to occasionally.
- 11Pour hot mixture into mixing bowl and add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- 12Pour over hot cake right after removing from oven.
- 13If using nuts, sprinkle over icing while still soft.
- 14NOTE: If you prefer a thinner "brownie height" cake, bake in an 11 x 15 pan at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Chocolate Brownie Cake
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.1
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 76.6 mg
- Sodium 343.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 58.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g