1/1 Photo of Old-Fashioned Banana Cream Pie With Chocolate Pastry
MMMmmmm. Found this recipe in my local grocer's flyer. Love the banana and chocolate combo. The crust stuck in the pan a bit when I made it, thus the suggestion to lightly spray the pan before you start. Preparation does not include chilling time of about 2 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Chocolate pastry
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 1To make chocolate pastry: In a food processor or a bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt; whirl or mix to blend.
- 2Add butter, whirl, or rub in with our fingers until fine crumbs form.
- 3Add egg yolk and vanilla; whirl or mix with a fork until blended.
- 4Lightly spray 9-inch pie pan with non-stick spray. Pour mixture into pan and press evenly over bottom, up sides and across rim. Pinch in decorative edge, or press with tines of fork.
- 5Bake in 350°F oven just until crust is slightly darker around edges, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 6Let cool on a rack at least 1 hour.
- 7To make filling: In a 2-quart pan, combine ¾ cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- 8Add milk and whisk to blend.
- 9Whisk over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- 10Do not scorch.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12In a small bowl, beat egg yolks to blend.
- 13Stir about ½ cup of the hot milk mixture into yolks, then add this mixture back it pan.
- 14Return pan to medium-low heat and stir until mixture just begins to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- 15Remove from heat and stir in butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 16Spread a thin layer of warm custard over bottom.
- 17Peel bananas and slice half into pie, covering bottom evenly.
- 18Pour half the warm custard evenly over bananas.
- 19Repeat to layer remaining bananas and custard.
- 20Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap.
- 21Chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
- 22In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat whipping cream and remaining sugar and vanilla until mixture holds soft peaks.
- 23Mound on pie and swirl to cover.
- 24Top with chocolate shavings, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old-Fashioned Banana Cream Pie With Chocolate Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.6
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 203.7 mg
- Sodium 324.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 32.7 g
- Protein 7.2 g