Recipe by Sharlene~W
MMMmmmm. Found this recipe in my local grocer's flyer. Love the banana and chocolate combo. The crust stuck in the pan a bit when I made it, thus the suggestion to lightly spray the pan before you start. Preparation does not include chilling time of about 2 hours.
For Chocolate pastry
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml cornstarch
- 1.23 ml salt
- 532.32 ml milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 29.58 ml butter
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas (about 6 oz. each)
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- chocolate shavings (optional) or unsweetened cocoa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make chocolate pastry: In a food processor or a bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt; whirl or mix to blend.
- Add butter, whirl, or rub in with our fingers until fine crumbs form.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla; whirl or mix with a fork until blended.
- Lightly spray 9-inch pie pan with non-stick spray. Pour mixture into pan and press evenly over bottom, up sides and across rim. Pinch in decorative edge, or press with tines of fork.
- Bake in 350°F oven just until crust is slightly darker around edges, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack at least 1 hour.
- To make filling: In a 2-quart pan, combine ¾ cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add milk and whisk to blend.
- Whisk over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Do not scorch.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks to blend.
- Stir about ½ cup of the hot milk mixture into yolks, then add this mixture back it pan.
- Return pan to medium-low heat and stir until mixture just begins to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread a thin layer of warm custard over bottom.
- Peel bananas and slice half into pie, covering bottom evenly.
- Pour half the warm custard evenly over bananas.
- Repeat to layer remaining bananas and custard.
- Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap.
- Chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
- In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat whipping cream and remaining sugar and vanilla until mixture holds soft peaks.
- Mound on pie and swirl to cover.
- Top with chocolate shavings, if desired.