Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Iced, Toasted Oatmeal cookies. Make them with or without fruit or nuts. your desire.
Make and share this Old Fashion Oatmeal Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk or 1⁄3 cup sour milk
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1 cup pecans (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar (ICING ONLY)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (ICING ONLY)
- 2 -4 tablespoons milk (ICING ONLY)
- Spread the oats in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 375*F (190*C) oven about 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.
- Place toasted oats in a small bowl. Stir in buttermilk or sour milk and let stand a few minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat together the brown sugar and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; beat until combined.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Beat in the oat mixture. Stir in the flour until just mixed.
- Fold in the dates, raisins and nuts. (OPTIONAL).
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2-inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 375*F (190*C) oven about 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle in a decorative manner with the Powdered Sugar Icing, if desired.
- POWDER SUGAR ICING RECIPE.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Stir in enough milk to make an icing of drizzling consistency.
Great cookies!!! My classroom is in charge of breakroom duties this week and I am proud to be able to provide such a wonderful treat!!! Thanks a bunch PA. These are gunna make me look really good :)
I LOVED these!! I used dates that I chopped into small-ish pieces in mine. And they were perfect! They are soft inside, slightly crunchy outside. Excellent cookies!! The spices are spot on as well. I didn't put the icing on mine as I didn't feel they needed it. They were fantastic just as they come. I will make these again and again and again! Thank you SO much for sharing!!