Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this in the "Aldi" flyer and website. I wasn't too sure about making this but I thought what the heck I'll give it a try. Glad I did. Smelled good while cooking and tasted great. I didn't have an apple and I used cheddar cheese instead of Swiss. When the Spaetzle was done I chopped into smaller pieces. My neighbor came over after supper and couldn't stop saying "mmmm that smells good".
- 8 ounces spaetzle noodles
- 6 slices grandessa signature center cut bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces smoked bratwursts, sliced
- 8 ounces happy farms cream cheese
- 2 cups sauerkraut, German Style
- 6 slices happy farms swiss cheese, chopped
- cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons countryside creamery unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Lightly boil the spaetzle for 10-12 minutes, drain and reserve.
- In a medium frying pan, sauté bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Reserve. Add onion, apple, salt and pepper to pan drippings. Sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add bratwurst and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes or until heated through.
- Lower heat, add cream cheese and reserved bacon to the pan. Continue stirring until cream cheese is blended. Remove from heat and stir in sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and spaetzle.
- Coat a 9 x 12 pan with cooking spray. Add mixture to pan, top with pats of butter.
- Bake covered, for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.