Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can substitute a bag of frozen, breaded okra if you can find it. The stores in my area don't carry it and I have to buy a whole case if I want them to special order it for me. Also, I am guessing on the amount of vinegar. I have never actually measured it, I just sprinkle it on until I think it's enough.
- 1 lb fresh okra
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 red onion, finely minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Slice okra into bite-size pieces, discarding stems. Dip okra into egg, then roll in cornmeal to coat. Set aside.
- Fry bacon until crisp, set aside to drain. Break into small bite-size pieces when cooled enough to handle.
- Fry okra in bacon drippings, turning to crisp all sides. Use additional oil and needed to prevent sticking. You may need to cook the okra in batches so you don't overcrowd the pan. Drain on absorbent paper and let cool to room temperature.
- Place the cooled okra in a bowl and add crumbled bacon, onion, tomatoes and cheese. Toss gently to combine, but without breaking down the coating on the okra.
- Sprinkle evenly with the vinegar. Toss gently again. Add salt and pepper to taste.