Recipe by breezermom
I've had a bumper crop of okra!
Top Review by Debbie R.
I decided to serve this as a stew versus throwing it over rice. It was excellent. I particularly liked how easy it was to make. However, I did use between 1 and 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning. I don't know if mine had lost its oomph, if Emerils is much more mild than Zatarain's, or if I just prefer spicier food. However, with the seasoning increased, it was fantastic and didn't even need pepper sauce.
- 1 lb ground beef (may substitute ground turkey or chicken to lower calories)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb okra, cut
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning (I use Zatarains)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- hot cooked rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ground beef in a large Dutch oven until the meat is browned, stirring to crumble the meat; drain well.
- Add the tomatoes and the next 6 ingredients; stir well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 3 hours or until thickened. Serve over rice, if desired.