- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb fresh sliced okra
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain the bacon and reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in skillet; crumble bacon.
- Dredge okra in flour.
- Sauté onion in bacon drippings until tender. Add okra; cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and sugar. Cook over low heat stirring occasionally 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the salt and pepper; sprinkle with bacon.
- Serve over rice, if desired.