Totally thrown together recipe to accompany Seafood Chowder -- Bake in a 7-8 inch iron skillet! PLEASE NOTE: The following items or measurements are not included in the nutritional information / calorie count: bacon fat, asiago cheese. buttermilk cornmeal mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (or fat of your choice)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk (2% okay)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (finely minced or snipped with scissors - 4 onions)
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese (freshly grated, then packed into 1/2 cup measure, OR cheese of your choice!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising buttermilk cornmeal mix (White Lily preferred)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place bacon fat in 7-8 inch iron skillet and heat in preheated oven for 5-7 minutes.
- While skillet is heating, combine egg, pepper, sugar, milk, green onion, cheese, and cornmeal mix until well mixed.
- Remove skillet from oven and pour hot fat into cornbread mixture, and quickly combine.
- Pour cornbread batter into HOT skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 450°F.
- Remove pan from oven ~ run table knife around edge of pan and lift baked cornbread up onto the blade of the knife to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing! This will keep bottom of cornbread crisp!
- OR ~ Turn baked cornbread onto a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing!
- PLEASE NOTE: The following items or measurements are not included in the nutritional information / calorie count: bacon fat, asiago cheese. buttermilk cornmeal mix!