Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
The rhubarb filling for these tasty treats is baked to a bubbly, golden brown. A ginger icing finishes them off.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb (fresh or frozen unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (more if you want a stronger flavor)
- 3 teaspoons apricot nectar, orange juice or 3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8x8x2-inch baking pan with heavy foil extended beyond pan edges.
- In large bowl stir together oats, the 1 cup flour, and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup oats mixture. Press remaining on bottom of prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl stir together granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and ground ginger. Add rhubarb; toss to coat. Spread on hot crust. Sprinkle reserved oats mixture; press lightly.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until top is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on rack. Drizzle icing, sprinkle crystallized ginger. Lift from pan; cut into bars. Store, covered, in refrigerator up to 2 days. Makes 16 bars.
- In small bowl stir together powdered sugar, ginger, and apricot nectar, orange juice, or milk.