Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a tasty variation on oatmeal, using coconut milk in place of half of the usual milk or water. This was written using the measurements for McCann's Quick-Cooking Oats. If you use other brands, you may need to use a different proportion of oats to liquid - The key is to follow the directions on the package for 2 servings, replacing half of the liquid with coconut milk. If you are gluten intolerant, you will need to use gluten-free oats (available from GlutenFreeOats.com or Cream Hill Estates).
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup fresh blueberries or 1⁄4 cup frozen blueberries
- Mix cold water and coconut milk in a saucepan.
- Add oatmeal.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Boil and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add blueberries and shredded coconut, allow to sit for one minute.
- Stir, and serve.
- If you prefer to sweeten it, add maple syrup, jam or honey before serving.
This was nice. I didn't sweeten it just served with some vanilla yoghurt but next time would add a touch of maple syrup or honey too. Love the coconut blueberry combo though.
We thought this was lacking a lot of flavor. It was nice to have something a bit different for a weekend breakfast other than the usual bacon and egg combo but, this just wasn't our thing. Sorry. Maybe next time I would try adding some cinnamon or nutmeg to the oatmeal to add some flavor. I had already sweetened it a bit with Splenda after I first tasted it. This helped but, I don't think we'll be in a hurry to make this recipe again anytime soon.