Recipe by What's Cooking?
This is a tasty variation on oatmeal, using coconut milk in place of half of the usual milk or water. This was written using the measurements for McCann's Quick-Cooking Oats. If you use other brands, you may need to use a different proportion of oats to liquid - The key is to follow the directions on the package for 2 servings, replacing half of the liquid with coconut milk. If you are gluten intolerant, you will need to use gluten-free oats (available from GlutenFreeOats.com or Cream Hill Estates).
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup fresh blueberries or 1⁄4 cup frozen blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cold water and coconut milk in a saucepan.
- Add oatmeal.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Boil and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add blueberries and shredded coconut, allow to sit for one minute.
- Stir, and serve.
- If you prefer to sweeten it, add maple syrup, jam or honey before serving.