1/2 Photos of Oatmeal Wholewheat Bread
Bokenpop aka Madeleine's Note:
In my quest for baking gorgeously dense and nutty breads, I came up with this one which fits the bill beautifully. This recipe makes two large loaves - which won't last long when your family taste how good it is! Serve with butter and homemade jam for a taste treat. Prep time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together the oatmeal, flour and dry yeast.
- 2Using 3 cups of water, add oil, salt and sugar and mix until dissolved.
- 3Add flour to the water and knead in mixer (I have a KitchenAid) for 10 minutes.
- 4It is very important that this dough be sticky in the beginning as the oatmeal must have the moisture to soften and expand. If the dough does not stick to the sides of the bowl, add little bits of water from the 4th cup until it does.
- 5Leave dough in the mixer, cover with a cloth and let it rise until the dough makes a dome over the top of the bowl.
- 6Switch on the mixer and knead for 5 minutes.
- 7Grease breadpans and sprinkle insides with cracked wheat.
- 8Divide dough into equal pieces and place in breadpans to rise.
- 9Once dough has domed nicely in the breadpan, place in oven heated to 160C and bake for 60 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Wholewheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1642.8
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3526.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 256.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 48.3 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 64.0 g