Recipe by Sarah Sunshine
A tasty, baked recipe for oatmeal. I obtained this recipe from a B&B in Sechelt, BC where I stay often; this is a real favourite with their guests. The recipe comes from another website, but originates from the Morical House Garden Inn in Ashland, Oregon.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 seperated eggs
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup fine chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup soft cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and sugar a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish or 4 small ramekins.
- Pour milk and butter into a small saucepan and heat until barely boiling. Slowly add oatmeal, stirring constantly. Cook until thick.
- Remove from heat and add cream cheese, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir briskly to blend and smooth.
- Beat 3 egg yolks slightly and add to oatmeal mixture.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Beat egg whites until just stiff. Gently fold egg whites into the mixture ensuring even distribution.
- Spoon mixture into the dish or ramekins.
- Bake a large dish for 35-40 minutes, or the small ramekins for 10-12 minutes. It should turn a rich brown with a rising, souffle appearance.