Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from my grandmother who left Russia as a girl to come to Canada. It's the only recipe I have of hers. The original recipe calls for a filling of dates, sugar and water to be boiled with no amounts given. Jam works very well too.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the sour cream with the baking soda.
- There are no directions as how to mix the dough but I always do this.
- Mix the margarine well with the flour, salt and oatmeal. Add the sour cream mixture and vanilla.
- The dough will be wet. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface thinly, about 1/3 inch or a bit less. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3 inch rounds and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes, more or less, not letting the cookies brown too much. I have a fast cooking oven, you may need to allow 8 minutes.
- Let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove cookies from the sheet onto a rack.
- When totally cooled, make sandwiches with a date filling, or jam.
- I don't know the serving amounts, so guessing.