Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was in the supermarket one day shopping for a muffin recipe from the Barefoot Contessa. I had picked up french vanilla granola in hopes of using it in the recipe, but when I got home and tasted it the first thing I thought of was oatmeal cookies. So, the kids and I came up with this one. We get around 3 dozen or so from this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon double strength vanilla extract or 2 teaspoons regular strength vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups granola cereal, I use french vanilla with almonds
- 3⁄4 cup dried fruit, I use raisins
- Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices till well blended. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter, shortening and sugars until light and creamy. Then add the eggs one at a time until they are blended. Add the vanilla beat until well blended, about a minute.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. When dough is well blended, fold in fruit, oats and granola. Break your granola into manageable pieces if needed.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon onto pan. We lined our pans with wax paper but whatever you choose to do to your pans is up to you. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Oven temps vary, so keep an eye on your cookies !
Yummy! Used all butter and dried cranberries. Crunchy on the outside but tender and chewy inside. Loved the dark brown sugar and balance of spices. Thanks for sharing the recipe!