Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From an old Southern Living issue. My mom's favorite.
Top Review by Pamma Lamma
I made these to take to a gathering at a friends house. They all loved it and I was even asked for the recipe. It's a very forgiving recipe. I started making the bars then noticed I didn't have enough chocolate chips (by half) any who, It ended up great regardless. Thanks!
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups regular rolled oats, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- To a saucepan over low heat, add the caramels and milk; cook and stir constantly, until caramels melt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, oats, brown sugar, soda, and salt; stir to combine.
- Add the egg and butter; stir until mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the oatmeal mixture into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate morsels and pecans evenly over the top; pour caramel mixture evenly on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into bars.
- Chill 8 hours.