Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
Very moist almost brownie textured bars. The dates are mixed in with the flavourful oatmeal base. Great served warm.
Top Review by Sugar Doll
Delicious! I omitted the oil and molasses to cut back the fat and calories even more, and they still turned out great! They were definitely more cake like than brownies, but that was fine with me. Thanks for this healthy recipe!
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄8 cup vegetable oil (I use peanut oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I also add 1/2 tsp maple extract)
- 1 1⁄2 cups large-flake rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup dates, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl stir together applesauce, sugar, molasses, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in oats, flour, wheat germ, milk powder, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda; mix thouroughly; stir in dates.
- Spray a 9 by 13" (3 1/2 L) baking dish with non stick spray; press batter into dish.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Cut into bars when still warm.
- Makes 16 servings.